SimulScan is free for many scanning scenarios, including when used with Zebra's DataWedge service and its default Templates, from a custom app to scan only barcodes and/or for certain types of optical character recognition (OCR). A per-device license is required for advanced SimulScan features such as detection and capture of checkmarks and for scanning highly complex targets. A complete breakdown is below.
SimulScan is free when:
- SimulScan is used to scan only barcodes (Multi-barcode mode)
- No more than 10 barcodes are present on any single scan target
- Text is captured using OCR-A, OCR-B or MRZ barcode symbologies
- SimulScan is accessed through DataWedge using any of its default Templates
- Capturing the presence of a signature
- Capturing an image
A per-device License is required when:
- SimulScan is used to capture an entire Document (Document Capture mode)
- More than 10 (but no more than 20) barcodes (or other fields) are present on any single scan target
- Text is captured using OCR
- Optical mark recognition (OMR) is used to detect the presence of check marks
- SimulScan is used with Enterprise Browser
- A SimulScan License is required for each device that will access SimulScan advanced features.
- A Device-specific License is assigned based on a product name and serial number, and will fail if transferred to a different device.
- A Deployment License works on all devices in a deployment, and is intended for remote- or mass-deployment scenarios.
- The Deployment License Key is user-generated on the licensing website.
- Demo licenses are available for evaluation and early integration.
- A license is not required to use the SimulScan Demo App.
- A Factory Reset clears the license from the device; redeployment is required.
SimulScan Licenses are purchased directly from Zebra Technologies or through resellers of Zebra products. The section below explains the process for licensing devices for SimulScan use.
The first step in obtaining a license is to engage with Zebra or a reseller. To get started, use one of the following Zebra resources:
- Find a Zebra Partner - form for submitting an inquiry via the web
- How to Select a Channel Partner - explains the types of partners that engage with Zebra and some of their technologies and specialties
- Partner Interaction Center - info for contacting Zebra's existing global partner network
- Zebra Corporate Numbers and Links - broken down by global region
- Global Marketing Contact Center - broken down by global region and country
After a licensing agreement is arranged with Zebra or a Zebra reseller, an email containing user credentials will be sent to the licensing company's representative for access to the Zebra Enterprise Software Licensing system.
- Log into the Zebra Enterprise Software Licensing system to:
- Place an order for device licenses (see image)
- View the status of existing orders
- Assign licenses to devices
- Generate Deployment License Keys
- View current license inventory and assignment(s)
Options for SimulScan licensing might vary from the image shown.
Once the desired number of license(s) are purchased, they must be assigned to device(s) before being deployed commercially. Licenses can be deployed manually or remotely using Zebra StageNow or a compatible mobile device management (MDM) system.
1. Enter the device model and serial number (as shown) and other required information and Press Submit when done.
Individual licenses must be applied manually at the device. Deployment licenses can be deployed remotely.
2. Download the
SDC_License.xml file from the licensing server to a local PC:
Licenses are tied to the device model and serial number and will fail if transferred to another device.
3. Push the License file to the device(s).
4. In the Settings panel, select About Phone -> Legal Information -> Symbol Licenses -> Menu -> Install license.
5. Navigate to the License file and select it.
Manual License deployment is complete.
- Generate a Deployment Key on the licensing website.
- Launch the StageNow wizard and select "SimulScan mass-deployment."
- Input the Deployment Key when prompted.
- Deploy the Key to devices.
Once deployed to the device, SimulScan Licenses are installed automatically. For details, please refer to StageNow documentation.
Demo Licenses are available for companies wishing to evaluate SimulScan or while integrating a custom app using SimulScan APIs. To request a demo License to enable SimulScan advanced features and APIs on a device:
- Send email to NMV386@zebra.com
- Include "SimulScan Demo License Request" in the subject header
A reply will be sent with access credentials for Zebra's Software Licensing Portal, generally on the next business day.
- Follow directions to assign the license.